#BornConfused15: ‘There’s a Reason we Still Turn to Dimple Lala 15 Years After its Release’

I read Born Confused the summer I was thirteen or fourteen. I was in London. I lived on library books those summers.

#TakeAKnee is About Racism—And Don’t Let Donald Trump Tell You Otherwise

It all began just over a year ago when then-quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat during NFL preseason games to protest police brutality.

#BornConfused15: ‘Dimple Lala gave me the Lifeline I Needed in the Absence of Community’

One day, in the New Releases display, you see a curious book. The eyes of a young brown woman look out at you. On her forehead, she has a bindi in the shape of a question mark.

This Desi Rendition of ‘Dirty Dancing’ is a Must-Watch for Every Bollywood Aficionado

DD: The Shaadi aims to adapt one of Hollywood’s favorite movies into a desi-inspired short film.

#BornConfused15: ‘Dimple Lala’s Search for Herself Mirrored my Experience as the Only Indian-American in my Small Town’

I remember the first moment I saw her—thoughtful brown eyes staring into my own. Question mark hovering. Dimple Lala drew me in and didn’t let go until I swooped her off a bookshelf, brought her home, and devoured every one line of Tanuja Desai Hidier’s delicious prose.

A Board Game About Escaping Arranged Marriages Exists and You Need to Play

Arranged!–The Arranged Marriage Board Game is exactly what it sounds like. Balagamwala has channeled the common experience of South Asian women feeling the early pressures of marriage and transformed it into gameplay.

4 Must-Watch TED Talks to Open the Mind

The power of understanding stems from having an open mind. From the possibility of the paranormal to a converted Westboro Baptist Church member, these TEDTalks will bring about a new perspective to its audience.

#BornConfused15: Tanuja Desai Hidier’s ‘Dimple Lala’ Opened Doors for Young South Asian Characters

Tanuja sent me a proposal for a novel called ABCD, about a South Asian American girl named Dimple Lala who living in the suburbs of New Jersey and was trying to shape herself out of the collision of the cultures around her. It was unlike anything I’d read before.

6 South Asian Restaurants You Didn’t Know You Had to Try

We, at Brown Girl Magazine, made it easier—here are six South Asian restaurants in the tri-state area you have to try!

Bollywood Boulevard: A Journey Through Hindi Cinema Like Never Seen Before at Lincoln Center

My teenage-self was awestruck by Shah Rukh Khan of DDLJ and bowled over by Hrithik Roshan’s dance moves. So I was excited to revisit those memories at Bollywood Boulevard.

Netflix’s Latest Documentary ‘Daughters of Destiny’ Follows the Lives of the Untouchables

Four hours may not seem like enough time to shed light on the devastating consequences of casteism and gender inequality in India’s educational system, but Netflix’s latest documentary, “Daughters of Destiny,” successfully manages to do just that.

India Independence Day Takes a Funny Twist With Four ABCD Comedians

Four ambitious Indian-Americans with some serious television cred decided to stir up this mundane Independence Day celebration routine

Kavita Mehra Talks About Sakhi, A Vehicle That Drives Female Empowerment Forward

There is a personal connection to our work at Sakhi, and working for an organization focused on gender based violence is the reason I entered the non-profit sector.

First-Ever South Asian A Capella Championship Equals Smashing Success

The Association of South Asian A Capella hosted the first annual All-American Awaaz, which marks the first of many South Asian a capella championships.

Sonali Pai Revolutionizes Children’s Programs with STEAM-Based Learning

“STEAM is the new STEM,” says Sonali Pai, making reference to the addition of ‘arts’ to traditional STEM-based curriculums.

GIPHY Celebrates Asian Pacific American Heritage Month With Every Asian-Centric GIF you Ever Wanted

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage (AAPIH) Month, our friends at GIPHY (big shout out to Priya Shah, their South Asian editor) decided to take advantage of the power of a GIF by honoring minorities who aren’t always represented in mainstream media.

5 Girls React to Abuse in Different Ways in New Music Video

The song puts a spotlight on the emotional and physical distress of sexual assault survivors.

Malala, The UN’s Newest Messenger of Peace, Is Serious Goals

Malala Yousafzai is the youngest individual to ever be appointed as UN Messenger of Peace in a ceremony held in New York. Her primary focus has always been on education for girls and women’s rights.

In Conversation with ClassPass Founder Payal Kadakia

Payal Kadakia shared the vulnerability and truth of her entrepreneurial journey toward ClassPass at a LadyDrinks’ Fireside Chat in New York City.

Hasan Minhaj’s Top 10 Moments at the 2017 White House Correspondents’ Dinner

“You know you’re news, right? Come on! But every time I watch CNN, it feels like you’re assigning me homework. ‘Is Trump a Russian spy? I don’t know, you tell me! Tweet us @AC360.’ No, you tell me! I’m watching the news!”